Come All Ye Celiacs

LEAVE THE WHEAT IN THE FIELDS

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Welcome to the Celiac Files Blog!

You and your small intestine are welcome to visit but before blogging on, please leave your wheat in the fields. This site is and always will be, without wheat!

My blog is primarily intended to share information about celiac disease -- personal experiences on a gluten-free diet, recipes and products, research, and occasional fun banter. Most of my entries will be dedicated to understanding and coping with celiac disease. Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or nurse so please do not attempt to internalize this information as medical advice.

My intestines and me
My name is Julie. I’m originally from New Hampshire though I grew up in Minnesota and New Jersey (part time) as well. I have primarily lived in Minnesota most of my life and currently reside in St. Paul, the older city next door to Minneapolis. I am most familiar with the celiac ‘scene’ in Minnesota so often you’ll see that I cite Minnesota-related resources.

I was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue in April 2008 at the age of 38. I’ve had symptoms of this disease my entire life (malnutrition, anemia, chronic fatigue, and overall low immunity) but I thought my symptoms were normal -- at least normal for me. It wasn’t until my thirties that I began experiencing abdominal bloating, upset stomachs, flatulence, and loose stools, which ultimately led me to a gastroenterologist.

My small intestine was in pretty bad shape back in 2008, according to what an upper endoscopy revealed. I had what doctor’s call “villous atrophy” -- severe inflammation and destruction of the villi. In sum, my small intestines looked like a bad case of Elephantiasis.

For more on how celiac disease “works,” visit my Web site: www.celiacfiles.com.

After a year of conducting research and interviews with celiacs for my Web site, I discovered that most of us are ill equipped after initial diagnosis. We attain a positive blood test and perhaps an upper endoscopy to confirm, and then sent home with a thin folder containing a few fact sheets -- hardly enough useful information when the prescription means changing your entire diet. Thankfully, there is an abundance of health information on the Internet now to help guide us. In the world of health communication, this is called “E-health” (electronic health).

When celiacs do eventually adjust (and most do, believe it or not), maintenance becomes another challenge. There are times when you’re tempted to cheat, especially if you’re feeling better. More common is when you unknowingly ingest gluten-contaminated food and beverages. There’s also the challenge of maintaining the diet in a culture that is highly dependent upon wheat. Gluten (a protein in wheat, barely, and rye) is in nearly all ‘manufactured’ foods and usually not labeled as such in the list of ingredients.


It is very difficult to participate in a culture of wheat-eating when you have celiac disease.

So that is a little about my intestines and me.

You can read more of my story at: www.celiacfiles.com