Come All Ye Celiacs

LEAVE THE WHEAT IN THE FIELDS

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My Tonic













I know some of you will wince at this post, and can just imagine your gaping mouthed expressions. Nonetheless, I am compelled to tell you about...


Good old-fashioned cod liver oil.

My mother fed us a teaspoon a day and I've been hooked ever since.

I am a firm believer in raw 'potions' considered not so palatable by most modernists. I'll chew on raw garlic, chunks of fresh ginger, and leafy herbs from my garden. I can even pop and chew a vitamin E capsule in my mouth and chase it down with water.

I wouldn't say that these consumables are extraordinarily pleasurable in the moment but will relay that the after-effects sound like, "POW!" "WHOA!" "BLAT!" "JESUS!" "YOWZA!"


And there's something to be said for exclamatory foods, isn't there?

I also believe in the side effects -- the health benefits are worth the repulsive tonic, such as in the case of fish liver oil. Cod liver oil has high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids (DHA & EPA) as well as vitamin A, D, & E.

I don't have a tonic every day. Too much cod liver oil can be toxic due to high levels of mercury contained in just about all species of fish nowadays.

On that note, exercise awareness and caution when taking your daily tonic. I'll be curious to hear what your exclamatory response will be...

Where to find:
Most health food stores
Cost:
$20.00 for 8.4 FL OZ

No comments:

Post a Comment