Come All Ye Celiacs

LEAVE THE WHEAT IN THE FIELDS

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Aunt Betty’s Cottage Cheese Pancakes














My Aunt Betty makes a wicked batch of pancake batter. But her recipe (handed down to me several years ago) was the first to go following my diagnosis.


I haven’t cared much for the gluten-free pancake mixes -- they’re easy to make but don’t come close to Betty’s.


Through trial and error, I discovered by simply adapting her recipe, I could actually replicate the exact taste of her pancakes. If you’ve got a thing for pancakes the way I do, follow the recipe below:


1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Baking Flour

1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)

2 eggs

1 tablespoon melted butter

1/3 cup low-fat cottage cheese (optional)

1/2 cup rice milk (or skim or whole milk) *Do not use soy milk


Mix dry ingredients; then add remaining ingredients.

Cook in shallow stainless steel pan, greased with tablespoon of olive oil.


Optional toppings: blueberries, strawberries, walnuts, pure maple syrup.

Dairy allergies: If you’re allergic to dairy, do not use cottage cheese, butter, or milk. You can substitute 1/2 cup of cooked hand-harvested wild rice for cottage cheese.


Makes 1-5 small pancakes (double recipe for more cakes)


No comments:

Post a Comment