Come All Ye Celiacs

LEAVE THE WHEAT IN THE FIELDS

Friday, January 29, 2010

Skinny Crisps













Once upon a time there was a sweet and beautiful Princess with a very Sour Tummy. When the King’s physician told her that she could no longer eat anything made with gluten, she broke down and cried.


One day the Princess visited her Fairy Godmother, who was a fanciful baker. The Princess confided that she yearned for a Yummy Snack that would agree with her tummy.


The Fairy Godmother comforted the Princess saying “Despair not my fair Princess, for I will create for you a magically delicious cracker, low in carbohydrates, high in fiber, free of gluten, baked to perfection and sturdy for long journeys.”


Very soon the Fairy Godmother returned with an assortment of crackers for the Princess to try.


Upon tasting just one, the Princess rejoiced and proclaimed, “These morsels are tasty indeed! We shall call them Skinny Crisps. We must hurry and provide these crunchy, tummy-friendly snacks to all the people of the kingdom!”


So they did and they lived happily ever after.


I have to admit that I shed a little tear while reading this fairytale on the Skinny Crisp label (yes, I’m one of those Hallmark card cry-babies). But how clever, especially for celiac children!


Madwoman has started carrying this snack product, which comes out of Boulder, Colorado. It contains only FOUR ingredients (if you don’t count the cinnamon, sea salt, and turbinado, aka raw sugar):


Chickpea flour, golden flax seeds, psylium husk, olive oil.


I bought the cinnamon crisps (note there are several other flavors). They remind me of a healthier version of Taco Bell’s Cinnamon Twists.


I recommend adding the crisps to a bowl of vanilla ice cream (or vanilla rice dream) to mimic fried ice cream.


Where to find: Madwoman Gluten Free Bakeshop (www.madwomanfoods.com)

Cost: $6.52

1 comment:

  1. I like the cinnamon the best but the brownie (chocolate) flavor really satisfies that chocolate craving. I find I only need to eat one or two crackers and I'm good rather than eat the entire bag! These are really great for diabetics too. Mention you read about Skinny Crisps on Celiacfiles blog and you can get 50 cents of a bag at Madwoman.

    ReplyDelete