Come All Ye Celiacs

LEAVE THE WHEAT IN THE FIELDS

Monday, January 11, 2010

Julie’s Totino’s Pizza













Remember Totino’s frozen pizzas? Being a celiac, frozen pizza -- like most junk food -- is all but a memory to me. I haven’t been down that freezer aisle in ages.


But even in my healthiest of health food days, those pizzas were a guilty pleasure. Whatever that ground beef and pepperoni was made of seemed to cure a college hangover too.


Back in the day, you could buy those personal-sized pizzas for no more than a couple bucks. I’m guessing that a lot of people have lived off those things at one time or another.


By default (once again), I created something that tastes similar yet much, much healthier. I’m in pizza shock, really.


How to make a fake Totino’s pizza, gluten-free style:

  • I used Udi’s frozen pizza crust because I prefer thin crust.
  • Apply a light layer of pizza sauce (I used marinara sauce from Cossetta’s).
  • Cook 1 cup of grass-fed ground beef. Season well with basil, parsley, chives, minced onions, garlic salt, and black pepper. Add cooked beef to sauce. Note: Meat is optional
  • Add chopped celery, red pepper, mushrooms, onion, and black olives.
  • Cook in oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
  • Eat as though you’re back in college (try Bard’s gluten-free beer).

Udi’s frozen pizza crust

Where to find: Kowalski’s

Cost: $5.19

No comments:

Post a Comment