Come All Ye Celiacs

LEAVE THE WHEAT IN THE FIELDS

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Banana Bread













"Still Life with Curious George"

My photo doesn’t look as good as this banana bread truly is but George really wanted to be in the photo shoot.


I found the recipe on the Bob’s Red Mill Web site, which hosts a decent number of recipes using their grains.


What I really like about this recipe is that is calls for minimal dairy ingredients -- a relief for celiacs who have to avoid it.


I’ll warn you that it isn’t fluffy or dense like some banana breads. It’s somewhere in between.


Curious George gave this a thumbs-up.


How to prepare:

1/3 cup canola oil

2/3 cup brown sugar

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon imitation vanilla extract

1 3/4 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon (I thought this called for too much cinnamon)

1 teaspoon xanthan gum

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas

1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Grease 9x5-inch non-stick loaf pan. For smaller loaves, use three 5x3 inch loaf pans.
  • Cream together oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in large bowl.
  • Add flour, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder and cinnamon to egg mixture, alternating with bananas.
  • Beat until smooth.
  • Stir in nuts.
  • Bake 9x5" loaf for 1 hour, 5x3" loaves for 45 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. While at the grocery store the other day, I noticed the guy at the check out in front of me had 4 gluten free Betty Crocker products. I was surprised to see B.C. had gluten free so I looked it up. It looks like they have several boxed dessert options. I'm curious if anyone has tried them. Nothing like quick and easy when you're in a hurry or when you've got a craving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Troy makes cakes (and cupcakes) from these new mixes all the time. They're good when in a hurry but best to make cake from scratch. Thanks for posting this comment!

    ReplyDelete