Come All Ye Celiacs

LEAVE THE WHEAT IN THE FIELDS

Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Snack that will Stick to Your Ribs













It didn’t take long for one Mississippi Market cashier to notice that I’m gluten-free.


Everything I emptied onto the checkout counter was celiac-friendly when I stopped by the market a few days ago -- fresh fruits and vegetables, coconut-based yogurts, and gluten-free pasta and grains.


The cashier was either really excited or a great saleswoman. She all but practically grabbed me by the arm to show me some of her favorite gluten-free products. Minutes later, my grocery bill nearly doubled -- but in a good way.


One of her favorite snacks is Food for Life brown rice tortillas, with almond butter. She eats these almost daily. I hadn’t thought of eating tortillas this way so I decided to take her word for it. I bought a six-pack of the tortillas and some almond butter and am now forever grateful for her arm-twisting.


I give this snack a 9 -- a 10 if you add sliced apples laced with cinnamon and nutmeg on the side. This snack provided enough protein fuel to last me a solid hour of skate skiing today.


*The tortillas contain 2 grams of protein; almond butter contains 8 grams (per serving).


Roll it up before your next indoor or outdoor work out!


Food for Life, brown rice tortillas

Where to find: Mississippi Market (and probably other co-ops)

Cost: $3.49

Eastwind almond butter

Where to find: Most grocers

Cost: $10.79

No comments:

Post a Comment