Come All Ye Celiacs

LEAVE THE WHEAT IN THE FIELDS

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Poor Little Cream Puffs













"Still Life of Spilling Cream Puffs"

The difference between the Gluten-free Girl and me is that she knows how to cook …and write.


Okay, so these are two major differences considering we both run a gluten-free food blog.


You’ve probably visited her blog or read her book by now
(Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back...And How You Can Too). Perhaps you have experimented with her exquisite recipes. She is the real deal so if you have the time and gusto for gluten-free cooking from scratch, I highly recommend following her recipe blog. (Ahem, of course only if you don’t desert mine!)

I’ve tried twice now to make her version of gluten-free cream puffs with Meyer lemon ricotta filling. This recipe was a magnet to the mock Italian in me. But I’ve tried twice now and to no avail have they formed into the puffy pastries they should be.


My best friend and I have a joke that anytime I try to make baked dough in the form of biscuits or rolls, they turn out like “door stoppers,” she says.


Tonight’s batch weren’t quite that bad but they definitely wouldn’t sell if they were behind a baker’s glass case, especially in New York City’s Little Italy where cream puffs are beyond delicious.
They don’t taste bad -- it’s more the texture of the shells that’s lacking. They’re just not “puffs” the way they should be. I’ll try them again soon and maybe even drop the Gluten-free Girl an e-mail to see where I went wrong.

Follow this link to the recipe and be sure to let me know if you succeed!

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/2006/11/when-chez-panisse-calls.html

No comments:

Post a Comment