Come All Ye Celiacs

LEAVE THE WHEAT IN THE FIELDS

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Monday Macaroons



Monday night was the first in weeks that I spent in my kitchen after being on Celiac files 'hiatus.'

It felt good to reconnect to gluten-free cooking.
I realized once again how important this activity (cooking) is towards sustainability of the diet. It seems that the more one wanders away from the kitchen, the more disconnected one could become from the relationship to the GFD. The cognizant intentions and efforts can decline rather quickly...

Coconut macaroons were produced with little foresight (only a quick peak at another one of those outdated cooking magazines found in my workplace lounge). Though I found the macaroons to be a sticky menace to my mixing bowls and baking sheets, they turned out quite delightful and were a huge hit at work the following day.
I've decided that I'll definitely make these again for my upcoming graduation party. Maybe the guests will want to stay?!


How to prepare:
1 14 ounce package of sweetened coconut flakes
3 1/4 cups of sweetened condensed milk
1 egg white
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (and/or dried craisins or nuts)

*Beat egg white and salt until stiff peaks form
*Mix beaten egg white with other ingredients, stirring together
*Form into small balls (or regular cookie shapes)
*Align onto parched baking sheet (or lightly greased baking sheet)
*Bake for 25 minutes at 300 degrees
*Cool and store for up to 1 week




No comments:

Post a Comment