Come All Ye Celiacs

LEAVE THE WHEAT IN THE FIELDS

Sunday, June 13, 2010

June













Herb Centerpiece

This is what I've been doing with my time since graduating in May: gardening.

I've taken up landscaping the back yard — with little to no experience in 'greenscaping' at all. When we purchased our house last July, the back yard was just a big block of struggling sod. Troy likes the green space but I see budding potential. And so we've compromised: I develop the borders and he continues to mow a smaller chunk of sod.

I never hired a landscaper because I enjoy doing the work myself. But there have been weekend nights that I can barely climb the stairs after hours of pulling, hoeing, and hauling. I curse every time. Is this what almost 40 feels like?!

In the mix of landscape activities is my usual seasonal cycling activities. I've competed in two mountain bike races -- well one if you subtract the "DNF" (did not finish) at one mud-soaked event -- and some 20+ road rides.

Cycling hasn't been easy this year. Celiac disease and its typical unpredictable surprises have resurfaced.

For several weeks I've suffered extreme fatigue and body aches. I feel arthritic. I've had what feels like a golf ball stuck in my thyroid area for months. But all doctors have been able to detect (so far) is depleted ferritin. Ferritin, from what I understand, is a protein that stores and releases iron. In sum, I'm borderline anemic, which is a common outcome of this disease.

The lab results offer at least some explanation as to why I'm unable to maintain my cycling cadence for more than a mile or two.

As of now, I'm awaiting another tTG antibody test result. If my levels are up (1 to 3 is normal), I'm exposing myself to gluten again. And if that's the case, I'll be cursing at this high-maintenance diet more than my backbreaking landscape activities!

***
On a different note, I'm growing dwarf curry for the first time (see silver plant in photo). I've never cooked with curry but love the herb in moderate doses. Once I learn how to cultivate it, our chicken and rice dishes can be more flavorful.

That's all for now even though there's so much more to show and tell ...

Come back soon all ye celiacs!

1 comment:

  1. I too love to garden, and although I have a little plot in front of my house, I look forward to the days that I can tend to it. Most of the items I have are perenials so they come back every year and I just need to trim them back. They are still a joy.

    ReplyDelete